Monday, May 4, 2015

Geek Fuel Review: April 2015

Sadly this wasn't my favorite Geek Fuel box, because it's all about superheroes. For me, superheroes and superhero movies are a perfect example of too much of a good thing. I enjoyed the first Avengers movie and even kind of liked the early X-Men movies. I didn't even mind the first Iron Man and actually loved the original Spiderman. My husband is definitely the comic book geek here, but I never minded seeing the movies with him because even when they weren't great, they were generally entertaining. But now I am just so, so sick of them. There seems to be a new one every month - and they rarely offer anything different. We will be seeing Age of Ultron, but even my husband - who has followed the Avengers since he was a small child - didn't care about seeing it later. We went to the midnight release for all the Harry Potter movies and Spiderman and Lord of the Rings and, of course, Star Wars, but he just figured he had to work Friday morning. However, we have both gone to work on no sleep from a movie before, but it's too much. You can't stress about every movie and Marvel, like Disney, just doesn't know how to give people a second to breathe. The dilution of excitement comes from the fact that they have movies every month or two. Part of what made the others exciting was that they didn't.

ANYWAY, long story short, the emphasis on superheroes in this month's Geek Fuel subscription box felt the same way. I'm getting so many Avengers items and I just don't care enough about them. My husband doesn't care enough, either, because again, too much of a good thing.


Fortunately, Geek Fuel remains the only geeky subscription box that sends game codes each month so even if I don't play them, I feel like that's always worth the cost.

We will use the mug and I actually did like this. It's a mashup of Avengers and Breakfast Club. We have way too many mugs (as Crafty can attest to) but I don't feel like geeky mugs are ever a bad item because I will use them.


The shirt was a total fail for us, though. It's a mashup of Avengers and TMNT. As I said, I'm so bored with superheroes and my husband, although an obsessive comic book fan, HATES TMNT with a passion, so we will pass this along to someone else.


The filler items were also somewhat disappointing, with the exception of the Star Wars jelly beans (mainly because they were Star Wars, yummy, and did not include dead animals). We couldn't eat the Avengers candy because of gelatin and I don't really know what to do with a Scribblenauts figure.


My final bonus item was a plastic orange ghost thing, but I really like the tin it came in.


1 comment:

  1. Well i can understand from the trend of superhero movies and hype in the recent years, some people may be sick of them now. But not me. No, haha. I can't seem to get enough of them. They are my favorite past time.

    ReplyDelete