Sunday, January 11, 2015

Birchbox Review - December 2014

I was somewhat surprised to receive the December Birchbox, since I signed up late in the month, but it also means I only have to wait a few more days for January's!

Birchbox has both a men's and women's monthly subscription, and although I signed up for both, my husband has little to no interest in his before he's even seen it. That'll be interesting when it arrives.

To be honest, I'm not a very "girly" girl. I don't wear much makeup and I only need to buy beauty products once a year, but Birchbox is only $10 a month so I figured why not? I like some of the items I've seen in other reviews and I figured there would be items I would like, but after a couple of months, this is obviously not a subscription made for someone like me.


My box included several samples that covered basically everything - hair care, fragrance, skincare, and makeup. I like that they put a lot of care into the box. These are small, but would be nice boxes to help organize small things around the house.


My hair has zero volume, so I liked seeing the hair plumper spray by Davines. It doesn't do a ton in reality, but it can't hurt to try, right? I was also sent a sample of the shampoo and conditioner, which I haven't tried yet, but I definitely will. A few people commented in reviews that they found it made their hair look greasy, so I will try it when I don't have to be anywhere and if I don't like it, I can easily rewash my hair!

The Folle de Joie perfume I noticed as soon as I opened the box, because it's strong. It's not overpowering, but you wouldn't need much, that's for sure. I mainly stick to the same fragrances (many of which are just essential oils) so I will probably never use this, but I'm not opposed to trying something new if it really works for me. A full sized bottle of this runs almost $100, though, which isn't the kind of thing I normally find myself spending that kind of money on. However, I really like the color of the Cynthia Rowley lip stain and for only $20, that might be something I would buy soon.

Since I have a terrible habit of biting my nails, nail polish is a total fail for me personally. I also don't think I would ever wear this shade if I did wear nail polish. It's too bold. I prefer the classic and toned-down look, or something silly and fun. As far as moisturizer, I always like a nice moisturizer but my face isn't really dry, so we shall see. I haven't used this one yet, though.

The theme for December was celebration and these are products that are more about going out on the town, which is a thing I don't do so much. January's spoilers were full of citrusy items, though, so I really hoped I would get those! Instead, I looked at my account and my items are sadly a total fail for me given the profile I filled out. This is frustrating, since why ask if you're going to be so far off target for two consecutive months? Both months have resulted in perfume and anti-aging creams, which are items I definitely didn't mention wanting. My skin doesn't need these things.

I ended up canceling once I saw the list, so I can use the money for a subscription more in line with my personality and interests. Who knows - maybe my husband will end up loving his.


No comments:

Post a Comment