Friday, February 6, 2015

Black Box Review: January 2015

Black Box is a subscription service that caters to the goth lifestyle, although it's not just goth items. The owner of the company hand selects the items each month based on your personality and interests. I was definitely excited to try it out, but didn't know how well it would work for me, as my goth days are long behind me. However, I loved the sample items posted on the website.

The box is actually a big black box and the items inside are wrapped in black tissue paper. Instead of an information card, you received a personalized note since each box is planned for the individual customer. I had seen some of the other boxes opened and was on the fence about continuing my subscription because those items really weren't things I would like. Again, though, since I filled out a survey about my personality, I knew that they may not be reflective of what I received.

My mailman hates me, I think, because so many of my boxes come to me looking like this. :(


Fortunately, everything inside was still safe! There was a bottle of black nail polish, which seems somewhat requisite for a box like this. There was also an awesome clip/key chain of a planchette. I love this because it's small enough to not get in the way of your keys. It's also cute and I admit I'm really into things like Tarot and Ouija.


Also included was a change purse that probably doesn't scream goth or dark, but I really like it! I love to travel and this is the kind of item I would use. It's sturdy, too, and that's one of the most annoying things about coin purses or small wallets when you travel. (I try to have special travel wallets because I can keep different currencies separated.)


Just a side note before getting to the last items: everything was wrapped in pages from books. This is a great way to recycle books (I know I have a ton I need to get rid of somehow), although I admit it hurts my heart a little to think of pages being torn out of books. Still, I completely get how hard it is to figure out what to do with extra books and I'm in the midst of that mess myself right now. 

When I got to the last items, which were two necklaces, I knew this was definitely a subscription to keep! One necklace was a simple silver/triangle combination and I enjoyed the minimalist style of it. The other, though, actually caused me to squeal a little bit! It's a TARDIS!! :D My husband just laughed and shook his head, because I was so excited about it.

The only problem I had with the necklaces was that the chains were short and I like my necklaces super long. However, I can get myself another chain for the TARDIS, I think, and I made a note in my revised survey. I'm so difficult when it comes to things like this, I know!


1 comment:

  1. First I would seriously be complaining to the post office! Second if I had to pick items to send you as a surprise I would have picked all of these items! Except the planchette because I had no idea you were into that stuff. But anyway perfect box! YAY!

    ReplyDelete