Sunday, February 15, 2015

Quorn Foods Review


My husband and I have been vegetarians for more than ten years now (I've basically been since childhood, but he came around later) and we're always up for trying new foods that expand our options. We first tried Quorn about eight years ago and he's been a die-hard fan ever since.

Quorn Foods is the premier producer of meat alternative products worldwide. Based in the UK, they have been operating in the US for more than a decade. Quorn's products are made from what they identify as "a naturally occurring protein in the fungi family," which they call "mycoprotein." The protein is harvested in a fermentation process similar to brewing beer or making yogurt.

Because Quorn products are soy-free, they're naturally non-GMO. They also tend to taste very similar to the products for which they substitute. For example, the first time we tried the chicken nuggets, I had to take the box out of the trash to make sure they didn't actually include any parts of a chicken.

Even if you aren't a vegetarian, Quorn has about half the calories and fat of meat and is very high in fiber and protein, so it's a good alternative to try. You can find Quorn at most grocery stores or national chains like Target and Whole Foods. Availability of specific products varies.


My husband's favorite Quorn products are the Turk'y Roast and Meatless Balls. Sadly, neither is ever available anywhere in our state. Once in a while, the Turk'y Roast makes a limited time appearance during the holidays, but we've driven up and down the state for those "meatballs" to no avail. So we stuck to the same two items that seem to be the only ones you can find here for this review, both of which are part of his regular diet.

For the Chik'n Cutlets, he ate his dinner too fast for me to get a photo! We actually combined the Quorn that night with our first attempt at homemade seitan in case it failed, having a reliable backup plan with the cutlets. We made lemon pepper "chicken" and the Quorn, as always, tasted like the real thing.

Our other Quorn meals were Chik'n Nuggets, which my husband eats all the time. These are great because they taste like regular chicken nuggets and are versatile, plus they're easy to make. When we aren't up for cooking or want a quick lunch, these come in very handy! Here he had them with Duck Sauce.



The reason that he sampled the Quorn is that I may have an allergy to it. I have tried it before, but after eating it for a few months, I grew very sick one time and haven't tried again. I don't tend to get sick all that often so although I'm not positive it's Quorn-related, I don't like taking any chances. However, he eats Quorn several times a week with no issues and I have a severe allergy to penicillin and related medications, so I don't think it's common for people to have a reaction (but in the interest of honest disclosure, I would be cautious if you have the same allergies).

1 comment:

  1. Those look really good. I wonder if I could trick the kids into eating those? I bet I could.

    ReplyDelete