Sunday, March 29, 2015

Bean Box Review: March 2015

After Crafty tried Bean Box last month for review, I decided to sign up for my own subscription. She had sent me some reusable K-cups and now I can have more variety in my coffee. All of the coffees from Bean Box are from Seattle-based roasters.


I was excited to see that the packs were freshly roasted and contained all the info I would need to decide what to try each time. I also love that it's whole bean coffee, since I was able to make a single cup of each for this review but have more to enjoy later!



The first coffee in my pack was Colombia El Mirador from Kuma Coffee. This is described as a light-medium roast with notes of chocolate, hazelnut, honey, strawberry, and peach. I actually tried this one last, which is likely why it ended up being the strongest because I finally got the measurements down between grinding and moving on to my reusable K-cup! Normally, Colombian coffee is a bit too mild for my taste, but this one has enough potency. It was also an incredibly smooth roast that I enjoyed a great deal.


My second coffee was the Drip Blend from Herkimer Coffee. This was a bolder roast, without being as strong as something like a French Roast. Bean Box recommends this one without milk or sugar (I have never used sugar in my coffee, but I do use half and half) because it can stand on its own. 

The Ethopian Yirgacheffe from Longshoreman's Daughter was the one I was most excited about, because I love Ethiopian coffee! I was surprised at how different this was. I wish I could explain it, but it had a unique flavor that wasn't flavored coffee but definitely had a unique extra taste. As with the others, it was smooth and tasted great. I was pretty impressed at how smooth all these coffees really were, to be honest, because it's hard to get roasts like this in the mail. 


My final coffee was the first one I tried. It was the Roaster's Choice from Lighthouse Roasters. I was excited about this because it was listed as a full-bodied blend of Ethiopian, Sumatran, and Latin Arabicas. It smelled so good when it was grinding and brewing! I think I ended up putting a bit too much water in it the first time, because it was a bit lighter than I was expecting. However, this is likely going to be my favorite of the bunch now that I seem to have the measurements down! Once I had it down, it was nice and strong and really tasted fantastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment