Saturday, March 7, 2015

Product Review: Reusable K-Cup from Melitta

Since I'm the only person in the house to drink coffee and I rarely drink more than a cup or a two a time, a regular coffee pot is somewhat useless to me. So I've had my Keurig for a long time and I do really enjoy its convenience. On the other hand, I'm bothered by the waste, not to mention that I'm limited to drinking coffee available in K-cups. I'm actually quite the coffee expert, having worked in cafes and in roasting for some time, and I have a grinder for whole beans but no place to use the ground coffee. 


I probably should have already known that reusable filters existed, but I didn't. It's been many years since I've worked with coffee and I just blindly drank my K-cups, yearning for greater variety and something more sustainable, but doing little about it. When I received some coffee from GlobeIn, though, it was the additional impetus to motivate me to research.

Crafty sent me this box of reusable filters because she uses them all the time. I can't believe I didn't know these existed and hadn't been using them. There are so many more options now! I don't have to search for Kenyan or Tanzanian coffees with K-cups anymore; I can simply buy them and then grind them, use them in these filters, and enjoy. 

I was so excited that this worked. The coffee came out great and cleaning the filter was super easy. It says I can use it up to 20 times, and although it's made out of plastic, it's still more sustainable than the K-cups themselves. Eventually someone will create something even better, but in the meantime, this is a big step for me.

2 comments:

  1. We've had these ones: http://smile.amazon.com/Ekobrew-Refillable-Keurig-Brewers-2-Count/dp/B005F3IAPE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1425912552&sr=8-2&keywords=ecobrew , for over a year and haven't had to replace them yet. They apparently also make a stainless steel version, which I haven't tried yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's awesome! We were approved to try one for review and it's like that - even longer lasting. I feel like I should have known these were a thing. It's not an excuse, but I'm the only coffee drinker and until recently, I probably went through maybe 4 or 5 boxes of K cups a year. I have been drinking more coffee so I was more aware of how often I was throwing them away, and how wasteful that was.

      Delete