Monday, March 16, 2015

Horror Block Review: February 2015

As I have noted, our blocks from Nerd Block always come really late. This is for the Horror Block from February and I knew what was in this box weeks ago.

I originally signed up for three months to each of the Nerd Blocks, but Horror Block is the only one I considered continuing for another three months. Maybe it's because the content is older, but this is the only one that doesn't tend to be family-oriented. Now that they're including books, it's also the only one where I would likely discover books I may want to read. I read a ton and I'm pretty aware of most books, but I love horror. Finding unique horror finds is definitely possible, whereas there are not enough gaming books to justify it and Nerd Block will probably send more of the mainstream stuff I avoid. I find that Horror Block does seem to know its market and demographic the best, likely because its such a niche market.

However, speaking of books, this month's block included Bitten by Kelley Armstrong. I have read some of her books, which were okay, but I hadn't read this. When I read the description, which said it was "erotically charged," both my husband and I were annoyed, but I thought maybe it would be along the lines of Anne Rice, whose books are far from smut. I HATE romance for the most part but I still intended to read this, figuring they wouldn't include some Twilight knockoff in a horror subscription. Sadly, not only was it too focused on romance, I also stopped reading when I got to a rape scene (it's supposed to be erotic, which is sick). So the book is in the trash now where it belongs.


The rest of the box, however, was okay. We got a tub of slime. I'm not sure what we're supposed to do with it, but I guess it's a funny gift. I admit I would probably get something like this for my husband's stocking.

We also received a plush Giant Microbe zombie virus. I find the Giant Microbes really cute and I actually don't have any. It's one of those things I always consider, but realize I have no use for and don't buy. This is kind of why subscription boxes are pretty fun and I normally end up liking Horror Block. However, it's hard to be positive when I feel grossed out about the book.

This slap watch is fun and my husband recently broke his watch. I'm not sure he will wear it, but at least it's useful in the time it takes him to find a new one. We also got our regular issue of Rue Morgue and I need to sit down and read these at some point. I love that they cover all kinds of things and I feel like I'm missing out by not reading them.

Although my husband liked this month's Bride of Frankenstein shirt, I can't see him wearing it out of the house. I liked it, too, and the design is really awesome. I think this shirt does have a pretty good understanding of the Horror Block audience in a lot of ways.

Honestly, I would have kept this subscription for a while, but the book was in really poor taste. I read plenty of horror and mysteries and it's not so much the inclusion of a rape scene, as horror obviously deals with some pretty intense things. It's the fact that it's supposed to be romantic and the supposedly "strong" heroine enjoys it. I don't know what's wrong with our culture, but I am not a fan of these things. Personally, I just have no interest in this trend and as someone who really doesn't enjoy romance in the first place, who finds that kind of content offensive, and who reads way too much to need randomly selected books from Nerd Block, I think this will be the end of the road for me with them. I have three more boxes coming this month (my one month of Arcade Block, Nerd Block Classic, and Nerd Block, Jr.) and then I will be done.

I do want to stress that this is a personal choice. I have been back and forth on this company since the beginning and I just don't think they're for me, but I would say that the majority of their boxes do have the value and they're better, in my opinion, than Loot Crate. In the end, though, I don't find that either really feels worthwhile for me anymore.

1 comment:

  1. Has anyone bought those Nerd Block, Geek Fuel, and other monthly boxes in the mail?
    Nerd Block Junior Block

    ReplyDelete