Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Fete Home Wine Aerator Review

I had mentioned before that I'm not much of a wine drinker, so I can't call myself an expert by any means. However, I do like some wines and with my recent experience trying out Wine Awesomeness, I decided I would like to learn a little more. I also decided it would be a good chance to understand all the aspects of drinking wine and variations on it. When I saw the opportunity to review Fete Home's Adjustable Wine Aerator, I figured this would be a good chance to learn about aeration and see the difference for myself.


The first thing I noticed when opening the package was the quality of the product itself. The box is really sturdy and is the kind of item that stores well, if you opt to keep the box, but you're also given a bag for storage if you choose not to instead. The item was well made and nothing about it felt cheap.

The next thing, I noticed, however, is a bit of a critique. There were no directions anywhere. There were pictures but this is the first time I've ever used anything like it. The Fete Home Wine Aerator comes with various settings, although I didn't know how to decide what was best. I looked online, but couldn't really find instructions anywhere. (The company did comment on my Amazon review that the rationale is that each person's preferences vary, but I wasn't asking for which setting. I was surprised they didn't even address which direction to hold the aerator, because not everyone knows.)

Eventually I decided to just try pouring wine through the aerator over my glass. I used a low number and a high number when I did this (for different glasses). I can't say I noticed much difference between the number settings.


Maybe I'm wrong but it seems that the aerator is better suited to red wines? Regardless I tried it on both white and red. What I did was taste the wine prior to using the aerator, and then tasted it again after I used the aerator.

With the white, I didn't notice much of a difference at all. Again maybe this is because you're not supposed to use it on white, but I'm not enough of a wine person to know for sure. With the red, I definitely noticed a difference, although I actually didn't like the aerated wine as much as the first taste! It tasted crisper, but also stronger and more potent. Since I don't drink a ton of wine, I thought the aeration would make it more drinkable, but for me, it ended up being less so. The wine is probably a stronger red, so that's likely the reason, and I usually like something toned down.

Although I'm not an expert, I do believe this works and it saves you time if you would like to use an aerator or decanter. It only took a few seconds to utilize it. For the price, it feels sturdy and seems like it will last, so I would recommend it overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment